Saturday, July 4, 2009

Poem

One of the main reason I hate English is because of poetry. My dislike of poetry is because of the wording. Most of time when I read the poem I don't understand the main point behind it. Therefore, I end up using the internet to get analysis of the poems. However, the last poem I remember is The Chimney Sweeper. First time i read the poem, i didn't understand the main theme behind the story. Then I went online and search the topic and it all make sense. I don't remember much about the Chimney Sweeper but i know it is about a young boy. how young boy was when his father sold him when he was so young that he couldn't even cry the traditional street cry of the chimney sweepers (sweep, sweep, sweep). The stanza finishes by describing the poor conditions that the child has to live in. The second stanza then goes on to describe another chimney sweeper called Tom Dacre, a child who is crying because his hair has just been shaved off, the other child comforts Tom, telling him that his hair color will no longer be spoiled by the soot. This a very sad poem because it reflects how the Chimney Sweepers were suffering but they didn't show it nevertheless they were trying to be happy by imaging positive thing such as Angels and God. I am surprised that I remember this much about the poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment